Bla bla bla. You’ve heard me wax poetic about sleeping on the floor, but I thought I’d go into a bit more detail about all of the benefits to us, not just the main ones.
10 BENEFITS TO SLEEPING ON THE FLOOR
- You’ll never have a fear of falling off the bed
- …..or finding monsters under your bed (no, really…!)
- It is easier to vacuum around a futon on the floor rather than a bed frame you have to try and maneuver around
- It is easier to roll up and move, instead of having to lift a heavy mattress and disassemble a frame
- It is easy to travel with one, if you buy one of those queen-to-smaller sized futons, and use a duffel or hockey bag to check it in
- It doesn’t take up as much space visually — as it’s on the floor, your eye misses it when you stand back and take a look
- When you go to a friends’ place and crash there on an impulse, they never have to worry about finding you a bed or a couch.
- You’ll never have to sleep on a hotel mattress and wonder: What is that stain on the mattress?
- It’s far cheaper to buy a futon mattress ($100) versus a whole bed frame, mattress, mattress topper, etc ($2000)
- Kids love it because it’s like an adventure to sleep on the floor (much like camping out) and they’re envious of our setup!
5 THINGS PEOPLE WILL SAY WHEN THEY LEARN OF IT
1. But isn’t it uncomfortable?
Yes, just for a week or so, but I was comfortable within the first 2 days of trying it out.
2. Can sleeping on the floor ever be bad?
Yes, if you don’t have enough cushion for your back and hips, as in your futon mattress is too thin or the floor is not carpeted
3. Would you ever consider going back to a bed?
I could probably transition back easily if the bed wasn’t too soft, but not BF
4. I think you’re being cheap, acting like a pair of students and unable to afford a REAL bed.
To each their own, there are far more benefits for us to sleep on the floor than in a “real bed”.
5. How do you clean the futon?
Give it a good vacuum, then turn it over the railings and beat the dust out of it and let it be bleached by the sun, which is more than I’ve ever done for a mattress.
SOLD! Where can I buy a futon?
Go to Click here to Shop J-Life International’s entire line of fine Japanese products
and you will do me a big favour by giving me a 5% commission based on your referral purchase 🙂
(And I am only endorsing them because I have a friend who was very happy with her futon purchase from them, and recommends them highly although she cautions against their shipping time. Call ahead!)