Just the other day BF turns to me and says: You know darling, if you just cut your hair down short like mine, you could save a LOT of money and it’d be a huge amount over 30 years. Think about it.
(He really wouldn’t care if I went bald. I could do whatever I wanted.)
A minimalist hairstyle for women
Here’s what I could save:
- Haircut twice a year at around $30 – $60 each time — so let’s say $120/year on the high side*
- Shampoos/Conditioners – $60/year — I could make this no shampoo thing work again, seeing as it’s best on very short hair
- Hair accessories – $20/year — hairbands and headbands
TOTAL = $200/year
* The price of my haircut varies because sometimes they say “cut = $30″ but then they go and “style” your hair with mousse before you can utter “STOP!” and then you’re out another $30. I also let my hair get cut short, and then I let it grow out for 6 months.
Other things I considered but didn’t add because I don’t own/use them:
- Hair products of ANY kind
- Hair dryers, straighteners, curlers and irons — the cost of the item & electricity it uses
- Hair accessories such as rollers, brushes and combs
- Dying/colour/highlighting hair
So, $200/year or $16.67/month.
How much could I save over a “lifetime”?
- compounded monthly
- for 30 years
- 5% interest rate
I could save a whopping:
- Less care of my hair required
- Time it takes to get ready is just to wake up and go out the door.. oh wait, I do this already
- I’d shed less all over the place
- Sure would be awesome in the summer when it’s sticky & humid
- I could shower LESS, seeing as my hair wouldn’t get as greasy if it were shorter (Read this)
- Sounds so stupid, but I’d feel less feminine
- I feel like I’d look worse with short hair
- How could I flip my hair like in those hair commercials any more?
Wouldn’t I still need a hairstylist to keep up the ‘look’?
Or could I learn how to trim my hair every 2-3 months?
I’m sure it’d be cheaper to cut shorter hair than it would be to cut longer hair, but some salons don’t price the two differently.
I do think that Hermione (Emma Watson) looks just as good with short hair as she did with long (very Twiggy-esque).
Short hair also tends to make you look older, in my opinion. Less “girlish”, if you will.
Ladies, could you or do you rock a shorter hairstyle? Do people perceive you differently?
Men, what do you think about short hair on women?
And is it REALLY minimalist in the end if I still have to go to a hairstylist?