I would like to admit publicly that I caved, and bought a Sony E-Book Reader with a 6″ screen for around $283 taxes included.
Then I used it for a day, and returned it.
I didn’t hate it. I LOVED IT!
The refresh rate is so fast, the e-ink technology is surprisingly paper-like, and it has much more than I could have hoped for in a reader.
I could have gone with other lesser-known brand names as well, but finding them in Canada to try out in person and buy is a pain in the butt.
But I forgot one super important detail:
I also love to read graphic novels.
I am talking Lone Wolf & Cub, Usagi Yojimbo, … you know, comic books for adults!
I was hoping so hard it would all fit onto the 6″ screen, but alas, Sony hates PDF files and the zooming in on every PDF page killed my enthusiasm for the device.
I even tried it in image format, and no luck. I simply need a bigger screen.
I do not want to buy two devices — one for novels and the other for graphic novels. That is just silliness.
My new set of criterion for a future e-book reader purchase:
Apologies for the awful bastardization of the English language to follow — “don’t-cares” is not proper English
Willing to pay up to $400 before taxes (not planning on buying a ton of books as a result)
- 9.7″ screen — so I can read graphic novels comfortably without squinting or zooming
- Long battery life — more than 10 hours, Apple iPad I am looking at you!
- Ability to put an SD card in — PDFs are memory hogs
- Must be simple to drop in my files & use — folders would be ideal
- Able to bookmark pages
- Touchscreen — I am not a fan of buttons for e-book readers
- Dictionary for words I don’t know
- Must read PDFs.. everything else can be converted in some way or another.
- Not too heavy, but I can deal with the weight as long as it isn’t like an iPad
- Slim-ish (too slim and it cramps your hand)
- Comes in different colours? In red or blue would be nice.
- Can read books in e-ink colour? Probably asking too much now, watch them never come out with this product…
- Wireless — I have laptops for this. Just keep it simple. I don’t need to buy books instantly.
- Note-taking and whatever else abilities
- Able to play music — WTF?
- Anything else that a normal book reading experience would not be able to cover
The only e-book readers on the market that are big enough, but have major flaws:
- Kindle DX (Doesn’t come with an option for SD card memory upgrading)
- iRex DR1000 (PERFECT…. but costs $1000 or something nuts like that? WTF?)
- Apple iPad (HATE. $549 kills it for me; not e-ink technology; too heavy to hold for long; shorter-than-expected battery life… the list goes on)
I’m thinking in about 5 years, I’ll finally be able to find something.
*waits patiently, hoping someone out there will read this post & develop a graphic novel (manga)-friendly e-book reader*